A bathroom pod is a factory made, turn-key bathroom unit, which is fully fitted and plumbed, delivered to the construction site, and ready to use.
Modular Innovation: The Basics
- The on-site crews simply connect the pods to the main mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems in the corridors and pods above/below.
- Utilizing bathroom pods replaces the traditional build process, which requires on-site coordination of numerous items, processes, and professionals.
- Modular bathroom pods can be especially valuable for residential villas/ apartments orhotel construction projects where the many bathrooms being built are often exact replicas of each other.
- As seen in the auto industry, efficient production lines result in improved predictability in terms of time, quality of product, and cost.
Modular Construction: The Three-Step Process
- Design & Production: Bathroom pods are custom designed according to the individual characteristics of each guestroom or room unit. Large repeatable components located in a stacked configuration increase the efficiency of installation and connection to mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
- Delivery & Installation: Assembled pods arrive at the job sites via truck and are raised to their floor, moved into final position, and lowered into place without interference.
- Final Set & Connection: The finishing stage of the prefabricated shell begins with the installation of plumbing and electrical systems and concludes with testing, cleaning, and quality control.
Prefabricated bathroom pods solutions are adaptable to all types of project developments:
- Residential – Villas & apartments (low to high level)
- Luxury Hotels (5+ star)
- Business and economy hotels
- Accommodation buildings
- Sanitary (hospitals, care homes, clinics)
Bathroom pods are finished to the highest industry design standards.
Material selection and final finishes achieved are equal or even superior at times to conventional construction techniques.
Why use Bathroom Pods?
The reasons for using offsite manufactured bathroom pods rather than building bathrooms on-site are many and varied however listed below are some of the most significant:
- Reduced construction time
- Cost certainty
- Programme certainty
- Access to leading bathroom design & manufacturing specialists
- Access to leading procurement & purchasing specialists
- Reduced requirement for skilled labour and supervision on-site
- Reduced on-site material sequencing & coordination
- Reduced deliveries
- Reduced waste
- Reduced on-site theft
- Factory built consistent high quality
- Single point of contact for any snagging or after sales support
- If using bathroom pods fits the demands of a project, one can experience cost efficiency and savings.
- Bathrooms typically account for at least 6-10% of the capital cost of a hotel, so prefabricating them can mean significant savings depending on the project location, construction type, and construction schedule.
- Since bathrooms are designed specifically for each hotel type, pod costs vary according to project specifications.
On a direct cost basis, bathroom pods can be cost-neutral, although they add value with their assembly-line, high quality result. With the current and prevalent high labor shortage, bathroom pods may improve your budget by speeding up your timelines. When comparing costs of modular bathrooms with traditional builds, it’s important to factor in the FF&E specifications, installation charges, material delivery costs, and local labor affordability.